Bulgarian Council on Refugees and Migrants
Advocacy activities on municipal level to promote integration of beneficiaries of international protection in municipalities:
- Maintenance of inventory of 30-35 municipalities that are already and/or can be engaged in the integration of refugees
- Organization of reach-out meetings and dialogues with relevant stakeholders at municipal level
- Maintenance of a set of information needed by municipalities on the integration of refugees
- Development, maintenance and update of a web based information platform
- Collection and dissemination of information on refugee integration best practices from other countries in the region, in Europe or worldwide
- Organization of a forum for advocacy of refugee integration at national level
- BCRM is a co-chair of the UNHCR Working Group on Integration
- Monitoring and research of integration under the National Integration Evaluation Mechanism project (NIEM), a comparison with 15 EU countries. NIEM is developing comprehensive, reliable and sustainable data collection methods on the integration of beneficiaries of international protection. It will provide evidence that can support the establishment of integration policies maximising the potential of newly arrived beneficiaries of international protection. More than 150 NIEM indicators build and expand on the current EU integration standards and cover different areas and types of expertise, various stakeholders and diverse types of evidence. The BCRM is the junior national partner of the project.
For more Information: www.bcrm-bg.org
Office 118, First floor
76 James Boucher Blvd., 1407 Sofia, Bulgaria
Tel.: +359 2 427 17 43
Bulgarian Red Cross
Activities to facilitate the social and economic integration of beneficiaries of refugee or humanitarian status:
• Organizing Information sessions with target groups
• Assistance with registering at a labor office;
• Assistance for finding a suitable job;
• Assistance for registering a GP, hiring an accommodation, enrolment in Bulgarian schools and kindergartens, filing
applications for health insurance and ID documents, etc.;
• Assisting with interpretation, accompanying to hospitals for medical examinations/interventions, providing medicines,
covering expenses for health services and health insurance, as well as provide financial assistance;
• Counseling for voluntary returns in cooperation with the International Organization for Migration;
• Assistance with family tracing and restoring family links (International Department of BRC);
• Bulgarian and English language courses;
• Enrolment in vocational training;
• Organizing job fairs and facilitating the meeting with potential employers;
• Social consultations and referrals to other NGOs and governmental bodies;
• Providing humanitarian/ in-kind support;
• Legalization/ translation of documents;
• Tutoring for children enrolled in Bulgarian schools;
• Organizing art activities and workshops;
• Organizing visits of historical and cultural landmarks in the country;
• Prevention of tuberculosis
For more information see the website of the BRC Refugee-Migrant Service
Information Center for Refugee Integration
165, Evlogi Georgiev Blvd.
02/ 955 0192
Bulgarian Helsinki Committee
- Legal support
- Telephone legal consultations and advice in Arabic, Farsi, Pashto and Urdu
- Advocacy in strategic litigation for applicants and beneficiaries of international protection in Bulgaria
For more information:
1, Uzhundzhovska Str.
02 981 3318
02 980 0057
Council of Refugee Women in Bulgaria (CRWB)
Counseling and social support:
- Make contact with refugees and asylum seekers who have failed to establish contact with institutions on the territory of Bulgaria for the purpose of assistance and subsequent support
- Make contact with refugees and asylum seekers directed by other institutions and organizations
- Prepare individual needs assessment to plan activities and outline support areas
- Home visits to assess living conditions and plan activities for improvement, if needed
- Assistance in arranging visits to medical doctors
- Individual and group consultations on issues related to the clarification of the rights and obligations of refugees and asylum seekers, residing on the territory of Bulgaria in accordance with the national legislation
- Consultations in the process of address registration, obtaining identity documents and the health insurance status
- Support communication with institutions and NGOs – accompanying, translating, filling in and submission of documents
- Guidance to specialized refugee assisting organizations
- Individual and group consultations on issues related to employment, education, housing, access to health services and improvement of health culture
- Individual and group consultations with parents related to children’s basic rights and needs, coping with conflict situations and prevention of violence
- Consultations for pregnant women, access to healthcare services during pregnancy, development of parental skills, access to social support provided by the Child Protection Act in Bulgaria, guarantee of the basic needs of newborns
Art therapy workshops, groups for learning new skills resulting in better communication between the participants, exchange of ideas, intercultural communication, improved fluency in Bulgarian.
For more information: www.crw-bg.org
96, Ekzarch Yossif Str.
+359 8 78 136 231
For people seeking international protection or having refugee or humanitarian status, the St. Anna Center for Refugee and Migrant Integration in Sofia offers integration assistance, including:
- Counseling and assistance to meet individual`s or family’s needs (case management)
- Translation and accompaniment to public institutions
- Help accessing medical services (registering with a general practitioner and getting health insurance)
- Career Center and Caritas Job Fair: skills screening; employment brokering; CV and document development support; financial management trainings
- Services for people with special needs. Specialized care and services are available for children and adults with disabilities, including physiotherapy; kinesitherapy; art therapy; psychological counseling; support for families; training for parents and caretakers. These services are provided at a different location, the Blagoveshtenie Rehabilitation and Integration Center. You will have an assessment to determine which services can meet your needs.
- Short-term support, and in some cases housing, for people in transition (depending on eligibility criteria and availability)
- Emergency short-term accommodation at a hostel for a few days. This assistance is only for emergency cases of people in transition (strict criteria applies).
- Bulgarian language lessons
- Mentorship program with locals. Тhe program pairs individuals or families with Bulgarian mentors. The goal is learning about life in Sofia and Bulgarian culture; practicing Bulgarian language; getting help with practical issues; participation in social events and friendship.
- Children’s activities. Recreational and educational activities for children include: Bulgarian language lessons for children; help registering children for school; after-school lessons for children going to school; events and excursions.
- Activities for women: arts and crafts (jewelry making, knitting, painting, etc.); Bulgarian language lessons for mothers with small children (aged 2-6 years); events and excursions.
- Counseling with a psychologist
- Referrals to other services
Languages Spoken: English, Russian, Farsi, Kurdish, Pashto, Arabic
Visiting hours: Monday-Friday 9:30-17:30
Address: 1202 Sofia, 1 Struma str.
Tel: +359 2 869 6335
- Social mediation for vulnerable groups and children at risk
- Distribution of humanitarian aid
- Distribution of medicines
- Training of volunteers
For more information: www.centrenadja.org
12 A, Georgi Benkovski Str.
02 981 93 00
Multi Kulti Collective
The Multi Kulti Collective is the senior national partner of the European National Integration Evaluation Mechanism project (NIEM) – integration monitoring, research and a comparison with 15 EU countries. NIEM is developing comprehensive, reliable and sustainable data collection methods on the integration of beneficiaries of international protection. It will provide evidence that can support the establishment of integration policies maximising the potential of newly arrived beneficiaries of international protection. More than 150 NIEM indicators build and expand on the current EU integration standards and cover different areas and types of expertise, various stakeholders and diverse types of evidence.
- Migrant Parent Empowerment
This project seeks to address barriers in increased parental empowerment in education processes, particularly among migrant parents, by establishing migrant parent empowerment networks
- Children’s Programme
Children and youth between the ages of 6 and 18 have the opportunity to get to know each other in a safe informal environment, to increase their knowledge and improve their skills, to have fun and create common memories and friendships. The Programme has been actively supporting the two-way integration and building bridges between different cultures thus enabling children to live in a community free from prejudice, discrimination and xenophobia.
- Sofia Tour for refugees
For more information: www.multikulti.bg
Cooperation for Voluntary Service (CVS) – Bulgaria
The Refugee Project
The Refugee Project is a joint initiative between CVS – Bulgaria and Caritas – Sofia. The project offers educational support and a wide range of activities for refugee children and adults in cooperation with the State Agencyfor Refugees in Sofia.
Project activities are: English language classes, Bulgarian language classes, musical classes, cooking, sport and other events.
For more information: www.cvs-bg.org
Centre for Legal Aid – Voice in Bulgaria
- Legal consultations
- Social and professional integration assistance
For more information: www.centerforlegalaid.com
FAR – Foundation for Access to Rights
- Legal support for access to rights of vulnerable groups of people
- Advocacy and media campaigns for raising institutional and public awareness
- Independent professionalr studies on access to rights in Bulgaria
For more information: http://www.farbg.eu